Sister Melanie Hickman, from Chico California

Sister Melanie Hickman, from Chico California is serving an 18 month mission in Tuxtla Gutierrez, Mexico for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

Monday, February 24, 2014

Week 7: Stands tall, lizards, REALLY Hot!, teaching English:)

Hello Everyone,
 I am in Mexico!!!!!........  This is the coolest, hardest, most tiring thing I have ever done.... did I say hard... lol:)
 
How is your Spanish?
My Spanish is coming along.  I understand eveything my companion says.  
 
Tell us about your companion:
 She is from Mexico her name is Hermana P..... She knows pretty much no English. I love it because it is really helping me. She is very very sweet. She is 23 years old, so I feel very young.  She is great.  

What is the name of the area you are in? It starts with a C we are about 20 minutes from the President´s house and temple. http://www.lds.org/church/temples/tuxtla-gutierrez-mexico?lang=eng

What is the ward or branch like? We are in a ward because we are over two large areas that are about 20 mins apart. One part is city and the other is country. The ward is great but there are not very many members that come to church. I gave a talk on Sunday! And I thought but I might have to play the piano on Sunday because no one knows how to play.

What was church like? After sacrament meeting we were not expecting to but we taught the new member class.
 
 How do you find people to teach? We find them on the street when we are walking.  We walk a lot. People are super nice even if they don´t want to listen to us. I can offically do a contact in Spanish!  A lot of people look at me in the street because I´m a tall white girl, but it is a great way to get people to talk to me. They are always suprised when I speak Spanish.

What was your favorite thing about being a missionary this week? I love talking to people. That is when I´m the happiest, or when we get to do service for members.

What is your apartment like? The first night there was a huge cockroach in our house and last night a lizard. I pray more and more each day that they will go away:) 

How is the food? The food is good. The members cook lunch for us and then we are on our own.... I got sick from the food for the first time yesterday but I´m good now. 
 
How is the weather? It is hot hot hot but then it rains randomly.  

Do you exercise? yeah but my companion is not so hip on exercising..... we walk a lot. It is 30 minutes to the church and we walk that 3 to 5 times a week.

What made you smile this week? I smiled when I stepped in the same  huge puddle two times in one day..... and in Spanish the word for Monday means "come again I did not hear you".   I did not know that so I thought my companion was saying lunes as in the day but she was really asking me to repeat what I said:)

Do you get to teach a lot? We teach about 5 to 7 lessons a day with less actives and investigators. I teach a English class at the church on Wednesday nights to anyone who wants to learn. It is the best!!!!

How is the Spanish? Spanish is good. It is frustrating sometimes. Different people talk different ways so it is hard. I understand a lot but people think I know nothing so they talk to my companion about me... oh I also need to learn a different laungage too.  i think it is Tzotzilk (Mayan dialect).

Do you wake up in the morning and forget where you are? No I always remember I´m in Mexico because I worry about bugs in my bed all the time.

Are you unpacked? yep
 
A cool thing from this week.  We got to visit a boy who had lost his dad that morning and we got to teach the Plan of Salvation. http://www.lds.org/topics/plan-of-salvation

I love you all!!!

Hermana Hickman 

No comments:

Post a Comment