Sister Melanie Hickman, from Chico California

Sister Melanie Hickman, from Chico California is serving an 18 month mission in Tuxtla Gutierrez, Mexico for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

Monday, August 11, 2014

Week 31: Dead Rat, 145 Street Contacts, Soup with Fried Bananas

What 7 things made you smile this week?
1. 2 Nephi 26:30 "...wherefore, the Lord God hath given a commandment that all men should have charity, which charity is love. And except they should have charity they were nothing."  I also read some amazing scriptures and pages in Preach My Gospel that told me to get to work and forget myself. I have been so worried about myself but I now remember who I am serving.

2. We watched the movie called Faith in Christ and a little boy of a less active family said "this movie is chido (sick) " . He is like 2 years old and it was so cute.

3. The same little boy who is our neighboor saw me leaving the house one day and ran into my arms.

4. I prayed for help to get up in the mornings and every day this week I woke up on time}

5. It poured rain one day as we ran to the church to take cover everyone looked at us funny because we could not help but laugh:)

6. Ok so we made the goal to finish the mission goal of 140 contacts in one week and on Saturday night we still needed a large number to finished. Joking I  said to my companion.... Heavenly Father  will help us find a party(fiesta) so that we can contact people..... not 5 minutes letter we passed by a party. I think sometimes Heavenly Father  has a sense of humor:)  

7. I tried to do math this morning and I did not remember how to divide....(I´m in trouble when I have to go back to school) 
 
 

How have you changed the most since serving as a missionary?

A love for the scriptures and I am not as afraid.... I talk to people in the street everyday that I have never seen before and in a different language. 

Best lesson this week?  and why?
We have an investigator that is from  Arizona. She is visiting family here that are memebers of our ward . I llove her to death. Her name is S... and she has come to church 3 times. We invited her to be baptised but it will be hard because we don´t know when she will leave to go back to Arizona. She told me when I go home we can visit Mexico together:) The lesson we taught was lesson 3 and the 3 kids of the member family participated so much and it was really neat:)

You mentioned that it was a mission rule to not knock doors....so is most of your finding done on the streets?
 
Yes but one thing that is really different here in Mexico is people are always in the street.  It is nothing like in the states there is ALWAYS people  
 
 
 How do you typically approach people and start talking to them?
 "Can we give you this card we are missionaries de la iglesia de Jesucristo de los santos de los últimos días!  
 
How many street contacts this week? 145 :))))))))))))))
 
 

Most interesting food this week? A soup that had fried bananas, ham and others strange things:)

The members in Mexico are great because those that really know the church is true do everything in their power help the work of the Lord.  We have members that companion us almost all day. We have other members that make us feel at home and others that give us references. More then anything their love.

We have one investigator that is our neighboor and married to a less active.   We love her to death. She washes all our cloths, makes us dinner sometimes so that we can eat when we get home and right now we are going to go shopping with her. Pray for their family she can not be baptized.

What is the weather like right now? Really hot but then almost every day it rains really hard and then because of the rain it gets more hot:).

I love you all so much the church is true and so thankful for the opportunity to be a missionary

Hermana Hickman 

No comments:

Post a Comment