Sister Melanie Hickman, from Chico California

Sister Melanie Hickman, from Chico California is serving an 18 month mission in Tuxtla Gutierrez, Mexico for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

Monday, September 29, 2014

Week 38: Baptism brownies, teaching a deaf woman

How has your testimony been strengthened this week?  How has your testimony of the atonement changed since you have been a missionary? 
One day this week my companion and I had some struggles and I felt so bad.  It was a hard day but we forgave each other and I felt whole again.  I got to feel that the Atonement can clean us of every mistake. Realizing that every day I have the chance to be better, and that it depends on my efforts. He will do the rest.
 
 


What 5 things made you smile?
1. I made brownies for the baptism and they got a Little burnt, but the members eat every drop. They were eating out of the pan because they liked them so much. They asked me for the récipe and I told them they are from a box.
3.  A P-day nap for 45 minutes today.  It felt soooooo good.
4. Listening to the Nik Day LDS songs that my companion has on her music player.
5. That it is boiling hot during the day, but then in the afternoon it rains really hard and we get soaking wet.  
6. We are teaching a deaf women and she is amazing. It has been a neat experience my companion understands her hand actions and somehow I´m able to talk to her. We make a great team and it is amazing to feel Heavenly Father speak through us. (I have been thinking about maybe studying sign language when I get home.)


Favorite thing about being a missionary this week?
 Seeing our numbers at the end of the week and knowing that we have been working super hard.

Do you ride the buses a lot in this area or do you walk? 
We walk

How far it is to church? about 15 or 20 minutes


Do you have other missionaries in your ward? yes 2 elders

What will you miss the most when you return home?
I will miss speaking Spanish and how loving the sisters are.

How are you feeling?  
I like this question.... good and bad I love being a missionary but it is passing by so fast.  I want to change more, but the change is going really slow.

When do you feel the closest to the Savior?
 When we sing hymns or when we are teaching and I realize that the ideas leaving our mouths are not ours.

I love you all so much. I know the church is true. I know that Jesús Christ lives and that He expects us to give this life all we´ve got.  I know I have a lot more to give and that I need to change who I am.  I´m thankful for the hope I have through my Savior. I know that he is at my side to help me find out who I am and help me reach my potential. I know he has grand plans for each of us. I hope all is well I love you all and pray for you every day! May God be with you until we meet again!

Hermana Hickman

No comments:

Post a Comment