Sister Melanie Hickman, from Chico California

Sister Melanie Hickman, from Chico California is serving an 18 month mission in Tuxtla Gutierrez, Mexico for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

Monday, December 15, 2014

Week 49: I'm dreaming of a Hot Christmas:) average temp 91

Hola Everyone!
Best day this week?
 Friday a little boy named B... was baptized by one of our converts which was pretty amazing! The font only filled up 1/3 of the way but B... is super skinny. It all worked out, but there is no water here in Tapachula.

Tell us what happens when you do transfers....
Well my companion Hermana C.. was in Tuxtla so I was on a bus for six hours on Monday. When we got there it was time to sleep so we slept with some sisters in Tuxtla.  That night I could not sleep I was so nervous because when we arrived President pulled me aside and told me that my companion is super excited but does not have a lot of support from home and that she is a convert. He did not tell me who it was.... but the whole night I was stressed and could not sleep. The next day we had a meeting with President and they got us all excited to train and then they presented our new companions. My companions name is Hermana C...., she is from Mexico City and is a great little worker!


5 things that made you smile this week
1. Being so excited to train and after one day realizing how hard it is:) 
2. The Relief Society President walking home with us and telling us stories.
3. Everyone thinks my new companion is white too.
4. Remembering my first transfer in the mission.
5. The notes my companion leaves me in my scriptures and under my pillow.
6. Not knowing what to do without water.... lol 



How is Christmas in Tapachula different than in the US?
It is Crazy Hot, most people have fake trees which is sad. I miss the smell of Christmas trees.


How will most people celebrate Christmas?  How will you celebrate?
Members have invited us to eat Christmas Eve dinner with them, but I don´t know what else we will do... 


How are your investigators progressing?
We have some that are really ready to be baptized but I´m having a hard time having faith that we will find new people to teach. Our contacts went down only 82 contacts... My companion does not feel comfortable talking to people which I totally understand but it makes me sad when we don´t reach our goals

Sorry I don´t know anything about Christmas but on Saturday they are going to tell us. I love being a missionary! I love that I have a new companion that keeps me on my toes and that helps me be more obedient. I know that I´m training her for a reason. The work is really progressing here. We have a little old man named Moses and I just love him to death. His wife went to the temple with our ward this week and it was her first time. She felt the spirit so strong and told the bishop's wife, when she entered the temple " now I just need my husband for this moment to be perfect, he is going to be baptized soon! "  When she shared this experience in Gospel Principle's Class I just started to cry.  Moses was there and the teacher said how special when you both go to the temple to be sealed I lost it.  In that moment I realized that this was the reason I came on the mission was to help families be together forever. I don´t know how but in one year from know I  will try and return to Tapachula and see them sealed in the temple. Moses lived in Utah for 3 years and learned about the gospel there, but years and years have passed and missionaries and missionaries have passed but not until now with us did he make the choice to be baptized. I love the Gosple!!!! I love you all!

 
Hermana Hickman

No comments:

Post a Comment